Skip to main navigation.

Who is CEC?

CEC Staff Photo

Central Electric Cooperative (CEC) is a non-profit electric cooperative. Our office headquarters is located in Parker, Pa. Our purpose is to enhance the quality of life for our members and consumers by providing energy, products, and services, which fulfill needs and create value. We are committed to integrity, accountability, innovation, technology and community. We serve approximately 25,000 members in portions of Allegheny, Armstrong, Butler, Clarion, Forest, Mercer and Venango counties with over 3,200 miles of distribution line. Click on the map to view a larger version. Photo of CEC Service Territory

The cooperative was organized on July 12, 1937, a time when cities across the nation were just beginning to enjoy the luxury of electricity as homes, businesses, schools, and streets turned their lights on for the first time. However, many rural Americans did not have this comfort.

Fortunately, the federal government recognized the importance of providing electricity to rural areas and in 1935 the Rural Electrification Administration (REA) was formed. The REA offered low-cost loans to build transmission and generation facilities. Rural electric cooperatives formed rapidly throughout the nation, taking advantage of low-financing rates. With the help of a loan from the REA, CEC began construction of a rural electric distribution system.

Visiting CEC
View the Electric Consumer Bill of Rights
View Our Rates

Who owns the cooperative?
The cooperative is owned by our members. CEC borrows 70 percent of its money from the Rural Utilities Service (RUS), formerly the Rural Electrification Administration, and the remaining 30 percent from the National Rural Utilities Cooperative Finance Corporation (CFC) to build its lines. Click on the following video links to see how your local electric cooperative is different from an investor-owned utility. What is the Cooperative Business Model. The Seven Cooperative Principles

 

View the Member Handbook

Read our Bylaws

CEC's CEO Matt Boshaw

Who is in charge?
The cooperative is managed by CEO and General Manager, Matthew Boshaw, who was selected by, and responsible to the board of directors. He carries out day-to-day operations following policies set by the board. Board directors are elected by the members.

The CEO oversees the management team which consists of: Dennis Beggs, CFO & director of finance and accounting; Stephanie Deal, director of human resources; Lisa Hoover, director of member services; Chris Kossman, director of information technology; and Fred Terwilliger, assistant general manager/COO. 

 

How do members elect their board members?
The cooperative has its Annual Meeting  at Whitehall Camp & Conference Center, near Emlenton. The meeting is required by law and gives members the opportunity to elect their directors, and to hear and evaluate reports on the operation of the business enterprise they own.

 

Our Mission

CEC provides safe, reliable electricity at a reasonable cost to our member-owners, is committed to the communities we serve, and is dedicated to the Cooperative Difference.

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Link to togetherwesave.com Nothing here. link to the cooperative action network website