Energy Assistance Programs
There are several programs available for members who are having difficulty paying their electric bills including Family Fund and LIHEAP.
Family Fund assists needy families or individuals who have their permanent residence on Central Electric Cooperative (CEC) lines. Funds are raised through contributions from members and employees. Each fund is administered by different agencies. You must apply to each individual fund listed below:
- Allegheny County – Department of Human Services: 412-350-3911
- Armstrong County – Community Action Office: 724-548-3408
- Butler County – The Salvation Army: 724-287-5532
- Clarion County – Charitable Deeds: 814-797-0286
- Forest County – Information & Referral Service: 814-755-3552
- Venango County – Office of Economic Opportunity: 814-432-9767
The Clarion County Red Cross is the administering agency for payment of all funds. CEC thanks each of the agencies listed above for services provided to our members.
Changes to Family Fund!
CEC has recently made changes to its Family Fund energy assistance program that positively affects those in financial need. Members who already are qualified to receive energy assistance from their respective county agency can now access up to $500 per calendar year from the Family Fund and will not have to make a copayment. Income verification must be verified by one of two ways:
- The member must have received LIHEAP monies on their CEC bill in the same heating season.
- If the member’s LIHEAP monies has gone to another utility then a copy of the qualifying letter from the agency must be sent to CEC.
Family Funds are derived from unclaimed property and donations and not from rate or cooperative revenue. Members are urged to contact our office at 800-521-0570 if they have any further questions. Act now to take advantage of this limited opportunity.
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
LIHEAP is a federal program administered by the State Department of Public Welfare and assists low-income families with their heating bills. LIHEAP is a grant and you do not have to be on public assistance to qualify.
- Allegheny County – 1-800-851-3838
- Armstrong County – 1-800-543-5105
- Butler County – 724-284-8855
- Clarion County – 1-800-253-3488
- Forest County – 1-800-876-0645
- Mercer County – 1-800-747-8405
- Venango County – 1-877-409-2421